Monday, July 12, 2010

PuppetFest Midwest - Last day at the festival


This was incredibly hard for me. I felt like I had found my family, my people, only to have to leave them - but I already know I’ll be back next year and that I’ll see some of these people on the rest of my journey at the next festival.

A group of us younger folk had all become really close - so much so, that we even helped pack each other's suitcases for some (who will remain unnamed) who may have partied too hard the previous night and didn’t have time to pack! We laughed the entire way as we ran to the bus - only just making it - all carrying each other’s bags, suitcases and puppets!

Each stop to the airport we lost another friend, and each stop was another tear-jerking moment each tougher than the next. It also didn’t help that most of us hadn’t slept all week, so every emotion was probably heightened only just a bit!

A couple of us went back to Kansas City for more merriment and puppetry together. That same day we went to see Paul Mesner’s Theatre and show that was on that day and he even took us all back stage, deep into the heart of an old building that contained levels and levels of hundreds of stored puppets, materials and workshop and theatre spaces. Just incredible.

But now, as sad as I am to leave my new found home and family I must press on - as I’m not even half-way through my adventure! I think I’m going to enjoy a few days to explore Kansas City and to have some well need-rest. After only living on a few hours sleep each night, laughing more then I’ve ever laughed and absorbing much more than I thought possible, I really can’t wait to rest my head...


No comments:

Post a Comment