Monday, July 5, 2010

Hotel review: The Cecil Hotel, Downtown L.A.

The Cecil Hotel on Main Street
My rating: 1 out of 5 (based on my personal experience, not the quality of the hotel)

Firstly, when searching for the website google says: "This site may harm your computer." I think that really says enough...


It’s cheap which is probably its only upside - but I wouldn’t recommend it to a young girl travelling alone. I would go to the backpackers hostel next door which seemed much friendlier, cleaner and fun. The hotel itself had no internet so you had to wait in line with the backpackers next door to be able to use a computer - so I would recommend taking a laptop with a wi-fi connection.

It’s not fancy, but that’s not what bothers me... It was the fact my window didn’t close properly and my room was on the landing of the fire-escape and the steel bars were broken and looked like they’d been broken into.... not to mention that most of the staff didn’t speak English. Sometimes even repeating myself a third time doesn’t help and it’s probably easier and quicker for me to learn Spanish in the meantime. One thing I forgot to pack - Spanish dictionary.

On my second last day at the hotel (I stayed 4 nights) I found myself locked out of my room. It looked like someone had stuck something into my lock to try to break in. Being alone with all my stuff in my room was rather frightening and I was worried the person responsible might still be in my room. After three attempts at getting security guards to come look at it - I was still scared and stumped, as the guards could not explain to me what was going on since they spoke no English. I felt even less protected now. After finally going to the lobby staff - they rudely explained to me that I should have checked out and they’d put a lock on my room. But how could I prove to them I’d paid for 4 nights in advance when they’d locked all my things and papers of evidence in my room? This for me, was only a ploy to get me to pay more. How dare they take advantage of a young girl travelling alone.

I received no apology and was told it was an error on my part - but they finally saw it my way and after much searching, they found my booking. I will never stay there again.

No comments:

Post a Comment